Thursday, August 6, 2009

John 16:33 - These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Greg and I have experienced out share of tribulation in our family over the past 8 years. But perhaps our greatest trial yet started about a month and a half ago when Greg was diagnosed as bipolar. You may have also heard the term manic depressive. It is the same thing. Most people do not understand what this means. I grew up with a dad who is bipolar and even I didn't really understand. And although we are understanding more now, we still have a lot to learn. For those of you with no idea, bipolar disorder is a mood disorder.

Greg is doing fairly well right now. He has started treatment and is responding well so far to the prescription they have put him on. However, we are just getting started. Bipolar disorder isn't something that can be cured. I won't just go away. It is something that we will have to deal with forever. It is, however, manageable. People with bipolar disorder can lead normal healthy lives, and that is what we are hoping for. It may be a while before Greg is feeling good enough (emotionally and physically) to work again. This is why we have decided it is time to move home to the Palouse! I plan to go to work (hopefully somewhere that will offer benefits), and Cora will have the best daycare a girl could ask for...Grandma and Noni!!

We have been greatly blessed with wonderful, supportive family and friends. This would all be a lot harder without all of you in our lives. Thank you for all your prayers.

5 comments:

Laura said...

My Dear sweetie,

I knew about Greg being bipolar and it isn't easy, but can be managed. I have a really good friend who moved to Montana and their son couldn't go so he stayed with us. I was very hard for him emotionally. Greg is a wonderful person with a great support system called family. Once you get all the kinks out things will look better and even then there are going to more downside like depression which from your description he is already experiencing. Chin up Greg, you can do this and their is nothing wrong being ill. God gave us challenges to help us to be stronger.
D&C 121:7-9
My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflecions shall be but a small moment;
And then, if thou endure it will, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triump over all thy foes.
Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.

Greg you have one advantage that some do not have, you have the gospel and the presthood.

Love Ya Always
Auntie Laura

The Hardy Things in Life said...

I know it will be so good for you guys to be at home with all your family, and the support you need! I would be lying if I told you I wasn't sad, but I know this is what you need to do! I have had such a great time, visiting with you while I was there forever! And watching our girls play so well together! It will be weird when I visit my mom and you aren't there!! But you are still close and we will have to come visit one weekend, that would be so much fun!! Please let me know if I can do ANYTHING for you!! We love you guys!

Joseph and Mary + Seven said...

I'm glad you get to be close to your family to help support and be there to help with everything. You're a strong sprirt and I look up to you. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Jenny said...

oh sweetie! i'm so glad that you are taking care of yourself and your family. you have a great, eternal perspective and that helps. blessings to you and greg and cora. sometimes the refiner's fire is so incredibly hot...but the results?...wooooweee!

love you guys.

JK said...

Hey Guys

Hope the move went okay and that you're settling in alright. We miss you already. Let us know if there's something we could do for you.

You guys are amazing!
Kari