Friday, April 24, 2009

Fowl update


Our chickens are growing at an astonishing pace! I am finding that I am quite chicken naive, so I bought a book (recommended by my friend Jenny) called "Keep Chickens!" and have been reading up on the art of chicken ownership in my spare time.

While Cora and I were in Arizona at the beginning of the month, we missed out on what Greg calls the UGLY stage. They started sprouting feathers and their wings appeared out of nowhere! We were still keeping them inside the house in a rubbermaid tote due to the unpredictable weather, and Greg informed me over the phone that they were really starting to stink. One day, while Greg was occupied at the computer, Jayda (our dog) was sitting by the chicken tote dreaming and drooling when suddenly Jayda's hopes and dreams were fulfilled...one of the chickens had flapped enough and managed to flap/flop/fly out of their safe haven and into the waiting jaws of a now VERY happy wiener dog!! Poor chicken. One down...5 left.

When Cora and I got home from our trip, it only took one sniff after walking into the house to decide that it was definitely time for the chicks to move outside. We have an unused, insulated dog house that serves as the new hen house, and a wire dog kennel up against the door of the house used as the chicken run. This is definitely a temporary setup until we can get going on a more suitable home for our girls, but it is sufficient for now.

The next surprise from our "girls" was the strong suspicion of a rooster in their midst! This little chicken's comb and wattles are growing at a much faster rate than the others and are bright red in color, and he is also quite aggressive for such a little guy. Oh well. We were trying to decide what we could do with him and I jokingly asked Cora if she thought we should eat him. Without batting an eye, she responded with a resounding "YEP!" Oh boy...on second thought, perhaps there is someone looking for a rooster on Craigslist?

While we have learned some new things about keeping chickens, we undoubtedly have much more to learn in the future!





1 comment:

Misty said...

Okay I had chickens once and I know exactly that ugly stage. Hideous, I could barely look at them. luckily you missed it. How fun, Chickens! That is great.