Thursday, June 18, 2009

ATTACK!

Okay, I may be exaggerating a bit. Perhaps it wasn't a full on attack, but it could have escalated quickly! I'm talking about my encounter with the roosters this morning.

I went outside to water and check on the chickens. I remembered that Greg had unscrewed the hose from their automatic water bowl to water our budding sunflowers yesterday (lame that we only have one functional hose!). When I got out there I saw that their bowl was dry (oooh, bad mama) and they were waiting for me so I went into the coop to reattach the hose. Maybe it was my styling $5 WalMart garden shoes, or maybe they were just really pissed that I had let them run dry, either way I was surrounded by chickens. One of the roosters (the head honcho I'm
assuming) was particularly peeved. He kept pecking at my feet (again, maybe my shoes were just too appealing). I tried to nudge him away a couple of times, but this just seemed to aggravate him further. Every step I took, he was right there with me, watching me with those beady little eyes, and pecking at me. The other roosters were right behind him.....what? Waiting their turn at me? So I "nudged" him a little harder...okay maybe you could consider it a kick, but it was gentle as far as kicking goes! Anyway, it was just hard enough to get him out of my way so I could get the heck out of there!!

Needless to say, the roosters have GOT to go! Anyone in the market for some home-grown chicken?

1 comment:

The Hardy Things in Life said...

love it! We sure miss you guys! RaeLynn has been asking if we can go to Cora's house? She was pretty excited on Sunday when she found out her teachers name was Sister Lilly, just like Cora's mom!! I think I will be there in a couple of weeks, Stuart is going out of town for training for about a week, and I don't want to say here all week by myself!! I will let you know for sure when I know what is going on! Take care and love you guys