I'm no expert on the sex of chickens, but I've read enough to convince myself that we have 3 roosters in our flock. AAARRRGGGHHH! When I bought the chicks, it was supposed to be 90% chance that they were female. Well, I bought six, one died, and assuming that it was a hen would put our percentage at 50%! Not ideal. So now the question is what to do with 3 roosters? I'm almost completely sure that I will not be able to butcher them, pluck them and skin them, so I'm thinking of putting them on craigslist! They are about 3 1/2 months now and beginning to get aggressive toward each other, and toward me. Seriously, the other day I reached down and one of them bit me HARD!!
A couple of weeks ago I went into the farm supply to buy feed
and they had some new baby chicks. They were so
cute, plus I was feeling bummed about only having 2 hens left, so...you guessed it...two new baby chicks came home with us! They are a different breed than our Rhode Island Reds. I believe they are Barred Plymouth Rock. So cute.
I got some good shots of the flock and some
of the new babies with Cora. I can't believe how big the first batch has gotten! We also built a new coop for them which I will post pictures of later.
Enjoy!

One of the girls darting into the hen house!
2 comments:
that is crazy that you got three roosters...I don't think I have ever seen that! Usually the hatchery is amazing at sexing the little chicks. We are thinking of getting some too (but it will probably be next year before that actually happens. Looks like you are having fun with them though!!
Love the new chicks, super cute!!
Post a Comment